William Edge Mason

Photo Credit: William Edge MasonGreat Lives Lived In Greater Sudbury, South Side Story

William Edge Mason was born on March 4, 1882 in the town of Walkerton, Ontario.  He completed his schooling in Bruce County and then began an apprenticeship with the Walkerton Telescope.  He became a Journeyman Printer. He first job would take him to Toronto to work as a proof reader and a handyman for the Toronto Saturday Night.

He and his wife Alice Maud Tinlin came to Sudbury in November of 1907 and worked as a printer for the Sudbury Mining News.  This enabled him to get to know many of Sudbury's business people.  He was successful in convincing some to invest in The Sudbury Star Publishers Ltd., a semi-weekly newspaper.

For Mr. Mason, these were humble beginnings as he would go on to build his career and business interests.  Through his newspaper, he built a large following of readers who agreed with his pro-business and anti-union beliefs. 

W.E. Mason has gone down in the Sudbury area history books as being well known for community involvement.  He served as President of the Sudbury Cub Wolves.  They won their first Memorial Cup tournament in 1932.  He also served as President of The Board of Trade and the Chairman of the Public School Board.  The Sudbury Parks Commission was founded as a result of Mason's tireless efforts.  The group is credited with having the foresight to preserve the Memorial Park and Lakeside Park (today known as Bell Park) areas.  W.E. Mason bequeathed money so that the children's wading pool would be installed in Memorial Park.

W.E. Mason literally became the voice of the north, when CKSO Radio went on the air, six o'clock on a Thursday evening, August 19th, 1937.

The radio studio was first located on Elgin Street in Sudbury.  This was in the same building that housed his newspaper operation. The station was powered at 1000 watts.  It had two 95-foot, wooden transmitters, located on 4th Avenue.

Mr. W.E. Mason passed away on June 22nd, 1948. The conditions of his estate were published two days following his funeral. The Mason Foundation was to be established holding over two million dollars.  This money was to be used for charitable purposes including religious and educational endeavours.  The Sudbury community at large became the beneficiary of The Mason Foundation, including hospitals, libraries, schools and many charitable and sports organizations.